Friday, April 15, 2011

Mini Ami Octopi

Super Cute!
I made a few of these little critters over the weekend. These two have taken up residence on my sister's desk at work. I love how customizable that they are. I played around a little with the eye type and size as well as the accent pieces. I am not sure which I prefer. I do know that I need to bust out all my plastic safety eyes to size and label them. They are all over the place now and I never know if I am using the pattern recommended eyes.

As for the pattern itself-- it was very easy. I have already recommended it someone that wants to make her first Ami. Basically, you make a ball, stopping close to the end to add eyes and a hair jewel. Close up the ball. Next, you make a ring of stitches and chain out like spokes. There is very very very little seaming which can be frustrating to new crochet artists. In this pattern, the tentacles are all made together-- you just join the bottom of the ball to the top flat area of the tentacle ring. The curly legs are so cute and allow you to even entangle them if you want to.

My sister also found out that the little guys are stack-able! I should have taken a picture in hindsight but she had 5 stacked on her desk and they were very stable.

4 comments:

Bev Sykes said...

The octopi are adorable. It's amazing how individual they look.


- Follow my Blogger blog! swap
Bev

Unknown said...

I am from the follow my blogger swap too! These are adorable....I havent learned to knit or crochet yet...kind of afraid to start..I have too many hobbies!!!!!!!

Chartreuse Asteria Azure a.k.a.Mizz AemmZ said...

these are so adorable!! i have always wanted to do this one but since i don't have the enough skills yet, i decided not to... i guess now i have to go for it but i doubt it will turn out as good as yours tho' =.=' ~~
btw, i'm chartreuse from swap too~~

Ericka the Vanilla Perv said...

OMG, soooo cute! These are such beautiful and fun gifts. <3 Ericka