I went searching the Internet for bunny rabbit patterns. I wanted to try and make a toy rabbit in the likeness of Ellie, my bunny that passed away a few weeks ago. While searching, I came across this little guy and I just couldn't resist whipping one up for one of my co-workers.
I found the pattern on The Kansas Hooker blog. The ears on my Roly-Poly Mouse didn't turn out as large as the original, but I still think he is pretty cute. I used a "G" hook with Oxford Grey in Lion Brand Wool-Ease. It only took a few hours to make and was well worth the effort. This little character has put me in the mood too make some more stuffies. They are just too cute!
Unfortunately, I forgot to get more doll eyes today at the store when I stopped in for Polyfill. I'll have to run back out to the store tomorrow. In my searching, I also came across a site called Suncatcher Craft Eyes. Perhaps I shall order a few of those as well. It would be nice to have some more options around aside from my local chain craft store's stock.
I made this over last weekend for a co-worker who was having a bad week. I bought this book called Subversive Cross Stitch by Julie Jackson. She has a website at http://www.subversivecrossstitch.com/. Check it out. These patterns are priceless!
This was my second or third attempt ever at cross stitch... and the first that I have ever finished. I think I was trying to accomplish patterns that were overly complicated for beginners. You know me-- I prefer to fly before I walk. This pattern, and actually all of them in her book, was very simple. I finished it in a few hours.
My co-worker was delighted with the finished product, as was I.
This past weekend, my little bunny girl Ellie passed away. I am very broken hearted about the situation, as is my boyfriend and Ellie's boyfriend Beauregard.
I wanted to make something to place on her gravesite in my backyard to let her know how much we loved her and miss her. I went to JoAnn Fabrics and purchased a stepping stone kit from the mosiac aisle. The kit I chose was made by a company called Milestone. It came with the mold, cement (just add 2 cups of water) and cement stamps. I used some of my stained glass to make the rabbit (with helicopter ears like my Ellie) and 2 carrots for her on the other side.
The stone takes 2 days to full cure. I feel bad with it not being outside with her but.... I obviously wasn't prepared for this happening.
We miss you Eleanor. The family isn't the same without you.
I came across this awesome idea on a handmade blog I follow called Sweet Tidings. I tried to trace the idea back to its original source, but could not find it. But anyways-- I am really excited. Here is how it works:
First 5 people who comment on this post will receive something special and made by me! It will be unique and special and heartfelt! What's the catch? In return, all you need to do is please post a Pay It Forward on your blog:
The first five (5) people to respond to this post will get something made by me. This offer does have some restrictions and limitations so please read carefully: 1. I make no guarantees that you will like what I make. 2. What I create will be just for you, with love. 3. It’ll be done this year (2009). 4. I will not give you any clue what it’s going to be. It will be something tangible. 5. I reserve the right to do something extremely strange. 6. In return, all you need to do is post this text into a note of your own and make 5 things for the first 5 to respond to your note. 7. Make sure you send me your email so I can get in contact with you for the mailing!
IMPORTANT: This offer is null and void if I do not see you post your own note to pay this forward.
I finished and mailed my 7" squares for the Remembering Our Soldiers /Americana swap on Knitting-Crochet.com.
I did a bunch of different types of squares again, but I felt sort of limited by the theme. I tried so hard to find a pattern that wasn't a simple red/white/blue granny. I went with the Army of One star on the right to try and get some other ideas out there but I couldn't find a pattern for an inlayed star so I tried to make up my own. That made my head hurt. Lesson learned-- I don't have the experience yet to just "wing it". I was going to try to figure out a anchor square as well but considering the month I spent grinding my teeth thru the star square-- well, I ended up with a good number of grannies ot mail out too.
I have pictured two of the squares I made. In all, I made a total 50 squares, keeping 2 for myself and mailing 48 to the swap leader. I forgot to take a picture before I sent in the others, which is a shame. Some of them turned out rather nicely.
Now all I have left to do is sit back and wait for the package to arrive. I am pretty excited.