Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Stained Glass Class!

I have always wanted to learn how to make stained glass. A co-worker told me there was local store where you can learn called Stained Glass Decor in Media, PA. The store is owned by a woman named Patty who teaches novices on the side. She was terrific!

The class was on Wednesday nights from 6pm-8:30pm and ran for 5 weeks. If you need more time to finish between weeks, she offers 4 hours on Saturday that you can come in a work while she is working on her own projects for customers. She limits enrollment to a maximum of 4 people to ensure hands-on and personal attention (as well as she has limited space in her store). At the end of the class, we ended up with a 8 x 11 project. We choose our own design so really you could come with your own pattern if that is what you want. I, personally, chose a pattern out of a book and Patty re-designed it for me for size and skill level purposes. I think it turned out really well (see above). It is pretty girly, which is pretty much my style. I like romantic, traditional things. Then again, I also like quite a wide variety of things so that doesn't always hold true to everything.

The class sessions broke down as follows:

Week 1 - Basics in glass cutting, choosing a stained glass design, and safety tips
Week 2 - Cutting glass for the project and filling to pattern
Week 3 - Grinding edges to fit pattern
Week 4 - Foiling glass pieces and beginning soldering
Week 5 - Soldering, framing, and applying finishes

The really awesome thing? Dawn (my co-worker) and I finished the class a week early so Patty had us both back for an additional class where she taught us to make boxes and solder in 3D. We learned how to work with mirror (the purple/blue glass in the top and on the bottom is mirror glass) and used bevels (also seen on the lid). Patty showed us how to make invisible hinges, which was pretty cool.
Dawn and I have now bought our own tools. I am making an area in my 2 car garage for me to work on projects this summer. I am really excited to make more stuff! Some of the glass out there is so cool and really inspiring. We are planning a road trip to some speciality stores soon. Wish us luck!



No comments: