Sunday, April 12, 2009

Stained Glass Hand Mirrors

I have begun a new stained glass project. I stopped by Stained Glass Decor in Media on saturday after a terrific trip with Dawn.



I picked up the supplies to make five hand mirrors. What I am going to do is take the ful colored glass circles you see here, solder mirror onto the backs of them, and create a fun design using copper sheeting and tinning. the hand mirrors will turn out to look like something like the picture below... only with glass and not fabric making up the back decorative design.
I looked all over the internet for an example of the copper sheet/tinning element but I can't seem to locate a perfect example. Here is a picture I did find, but it is a little hard to see what is going on in it. The purple flowers are all one single piece of purple glass. The artist used the overlay technique to make the glass look like several pieces of glass that we joined together by solder.


Next steps? Set up my studio at home and grind down the rough edges on those circles and the mirror circles I cut yesterday. Then it is foiling, soldering, designing ther overlays, ect.

Wish me luck!

No comments: