Friday, November 6, 2009

Hooked on Comfort

My little brother is in film school at Drexel University. One of his friends is looking for a house to film her final. She came by this past weekend to take pictures. Of course, my brother thought to ask me as I bought my house a little over a year ago AND remember what it is like to be a struggling art student. So today I made it my mission to organize and clean up my craft room. Believe me-- it needed it. The real problem is that I just let everything pile up until it is a 3 day project to dig out of. Story of my life, people. Lucky for everyone involved, I had the day off. I spent 10 hours cleaning. I'd say it is about halfway put together.

Anyway, all that time spent in the craft room storing my hooks and needles made me remember that I wanted to search for an ergonomic option. I have carpal tunnel and tendonitis in both my wrists. I don't let that stop me from enjoying crafts, trust me. I do, however, try to find a way to make it less impactful on me the day after a marathon of creating.

At first, I came across this tutorial. This site teaches you how to take something that is the right basic size and shape of the handle you desire and modify the hook and the object together. Two more homemade removable solutions were offered on Craft Stylish.com. The site suggests modifying your hooks using tennis racket grip tape or a combination or masking tape and pencil grips like the ones used in grade school.

Polymer Crochet Hooks offers a tutorial with video on baking permanent grips onto your aluminium and steel hooks. The process seems easy enough. The only catch is that you have to make note of the size hook you are covering before wrapping it in the clay. You will want to etch the letter/number in the handle or find some other decorative way to designate the size. Now, I know that there are hook sizers available for purchase at stores like Joann's but really-- it is much more convenient if your hook simply says what size it is without all that hassle.

Instructions on how to carve your own wooden crochet hooks can be found at the Gourmet Crochet. I am going to ask for this book for Christmas as I have been trying to restrain myself considering the recent amount of crochet pattern purchasing I have been doing. If you are so fortunate to pick up this book, I also suggest that you check out the My Work With Crafts blog. Lady Skye Frye offers her own experiences and lessons learned having utilized this book and craft.Terrific insight.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Hi Shanny,

Yes isn't it lovely to meet another bunny lover :-)

I drew the giveaway today and I'm sorry you didn't win, but I have just started another competition if you wanted to drop by.

Had to smile when I read the bit about letting things pile up into a 'three day job' - I know exactly what you mean. I TRY to be organised and stay on top of things but.......!

Anyway, hope you are having a lovely week,

Charlotte
xx (and Humphrey bunny)
x