Thursday, September 2, 2010

Home Ec Lesson 2: The Drawsting Gift Bag

I finished lesson 2 tonight!! I made a bag to hold my presents for my sister's bridal shower that I'm still planning. Well, at least that part is done in time!


The class description says: "Instead of wrapping a gift with paper, create this pretty drawstring gift pouch that acts as a bonus gift and reusable bag! You'll learn how to create a gift pouch.. also great for business owners packaging products and making a great
impression!" Very practical-- I like the idea of using the bag for gifts. I have always been against wrapping paper because it seems like such a waste but I do like the fun and excitement of the colored coverings.

The lessons in this class covered making a bag, joining 2 fabrics, drawstring casing, square corners, strong slit. I learned more than I expected to in the second class. Now that I have completed one, I am confident I can easily adjust the bag for whatever size I want and crank one out quickly. My first one took maybe an hour total. My next, I believe, will take half that time.

I am truely glad I joined Home Ec. The Q & A with the teachers was well worth the $60 class fee, not to mention the patterns and tutorials where I am making super cute items that I have been interested in for a while. Today's lesson (if you are up to date, which I am not) was making a leather and canvas bag. Love it! We learned how to make custom fabric drawers for cubbies and using baby clothes to create stuffed animals. I'm in love.

2 comments:

Julia said...

This is such a clever idea. I also like the idea that it add as an additional gift. Thanks for sharing this.

creativejewishmom/Sara said...

great idea with so many possibilities! thanks so much for sharing on craft schooling Sunday!